Marketing may seem like a modern concept but thousands of years ago it existed, if only in the cave paintings of our ancestors. Did you know that gladiators, rather like today’s footballers, were paid to wear a trader’s name and promote a business?
Marketing agency approaches today benefit from enhanced technology, reach and communication skills but at its heart food PR is the same as ever. Eat/Buy me! Is a message that carries well over the centuries. It’s the channels used to communicate with the consumer that have evolved. From early printing presses to the first radio and TV marketing agency managed food campaigns, to internet banners, content marketing online and artificial intelligence, the how of food PR and marketing agency practices are constantly changing, updating, shifting and refocusing.
Jellymetrics.com cites The Evolution of Marketing by D. Steven White as an accurate illustration of the evolution of this essential business area.
The common theory is that marketing has witnessed five evolutionary stages:
- Simple Trade Era (pre Industrial Revolution.)
- The Production Era (post Industrial Revolution to 1920’s.)
- Sales Era (the 1920’s, 1930’s and 1940’s.)
- Marketing Department Era (1920’s – 1960’s.)
- Marketing Company Era (the 1960’s –today.)
- Steven White identified two more: